Tuesday, October 14, 2014

No Copiers? No Problem!

I had several things to copy when I arrived at school today.  Imagine my surprise when not one, not two, but all three copiers in the school were not working.  The horror!

Thank goodness for the laptops and Google Docs.  I quickly altered my plans and decided that we would be typing our in class timed writing today in the honors class.  I shared the image, prompt and rubric through Google Docs and we were ready to go.

You had one task to do today: write an essay that explains how the image I selected could be a symbolic representation of one of the short stories, "Harrison Bergeron" or "The Pedestrian", or the poem "Caged Bird".  You had 40 minutes, the same time that you would have for an AP writing assignment.  That meant you needed to think fast, organize your ideas, find the support and write, write, write.  I'm looking forward to reading them over the next few days.

Another potential casualty of the broken copiers was tonight's homework.  Fortunately, we have the internet.  I want you to go to the following link: "All Summer in a Day", print off the story, (it's four pages) read it and annotate it.  This needs to be completed by Thursday.

Don't forget your irony assignment.  I received over a dozen today.  They were very good examples and explanations, but remember, now you can't do them.  Complete the assignment quickly but correctly.

We are over half way on the QBTs.  Keep them strong!

In the standard class we also have the irony and the QBTs to do, but our focus in class was on the writing of the synthesis paper between "Harrison Bergeron" and "The Pedestrian".  We wrote one part and saw some of the areas we needed help with.  We'll take  a closer look tomorrow and write some more.  I was impressed with the way you identified the texts, identified your claim and used information from both pieces.  We are getting there!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment