Sunday, September 23, 2012

Enriched 9-23-2012

Wow!  What a great fall day: cotton ball clouds; a brisk autumnal breeze; books to read and papers to write.  Like how I sneaked those last two in there?

I've been thinking about you guys.  I can't wait to see how things went last Friday.  Were the discussions invigorating?  Was the analysis deep?  Was there insight achieved?  (Like how I made those last few sentences parallel?  I love using parallel structure.  If you're not sure what I mean, you better ask me in class tomorrow.)  We'll have time to discuss and clarify what went on in class in my absence.  I'll hand out a rubric too.  Then it will be time to vigorously attack that writing.

But we will still make time to distribute some books as well.  Will you be battling evil in The Amulet of Samarkand?  Will you be traveling back in time to join Arthur?  Perhaps you'll enjoy a bit of personification with Watership Down or Fire Bringer.  Then again, you might discover what wicked something is coming this way.  You will receive your book, and, in addition, you will learn what will be expected of you while reading.  These expectations will not be light, but they can be accomplished with proper planning and and a willing mind.

We will be filing our "Masque of the Red Death"/"No Man Is an Island" analysis and the corresponding reflection tomorrow.  Do me a favor and do that as soon as you get to class before the bell rings.  Periods one and five have managed to keep the folders in ABC order.  Not so, Period Six.  Let's correct that ASAP.

I discovered last Friday the number one Acuity question missed on our opening test was the exact same question in each class!  Shocking!  It deals with using the colon to start a business letter.  The question asked you to select the proper way to address the salutation of a business letter.  Four options were presented.  In the highest class 52% guessed correctly.  In the lowest class only 12% were correct.  Yikes!  Here is the right answer...

Dear Mr. O'Malley:

Yup.  It's just that simple.  Come up to me tomorrow with that written on a scrap of paper.  Tell me it's the proper way to address the greeting or salutation of a business letter, and I will sign your Archer card.

While I'm on the topic of Acuity, I took some time Friday to assign each and everyone of you a couple Acuity at Home tasks.  Tackle them by Wednesday.  Why Wednesday?  That's the next time we'll be taking an Acuity test in class.  Let's be ready!

Don't forget your juxtaposition homework.  I want a fresh, original, unique example from each one of you by Thursday.  Be creative.  Make sure you have a clear explanation (typed) of the items being juxtaposed.  I read an example of one in the paper Friday, saw a great example live on Saturday, and ran by one early Sunday morning.  Juxtaposition...it's everywhere!

See you all tomorrow.  Enjoy the rest of the evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment