Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Enriched 9-19-2012

Wow!  Full day.  WWZ discussion, papers returned, new paper passed out, books to look at.  Books to look at!  That's right.  That's why you're here right now.  I promised a link to five books.  I've included them below, plus a little blurb from me about each text.  I want you to check out the books, familiarize yourself with the five texts, and then come up with a top three.  I'll be able answer your questions tomorrow, so you can tweak your list then; however, the firmer you are in your decisions, the better for you.  You see we have a limited number of each text, so it is a good possibility that not everyone will be reading his or her first choice.  I'll be assigning the books to you, as well as the corresponding groups you'll be reading the books with.  This will become your literature group with which you will hold myriad discussions and meetings.

Enough for now.  I can explain more about your literature circle experience tomorrow.   Let's get to the books.

Watership Down by Douglas Adams

This is a personal favorite of mine.  Sure, I sometimes refer to it as the "bunny book" since it is about bunnies, but the book itself is an amazing journey with strong characters and much deeper themes than one would think a bunny could bring. 

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

Who would have thought that a merry-go-round could be so scary?  Ray Bradbury for one.  He writes about a young boy who can't get enough of a traveling carnival that is inhabited by a horde of bizarre individuals.  I had a difficult time putting this one down when I read it the first time. 

The Once and Future King by T.H. White

Knights!  Wizards!  Swords in stones! Yes, it is the tale of King Arthur.  I loved this book so much I read it twice in my pre-high school years.  I'm a big fan of the Arthurian legend.  If you had a rollicking good time at Medieval Times, then you should consider reading this. 

The Amulet of Samarkand by Philip Stroud

The cover of this one might be a little unnerving but the story packs a whollop! Thoroughly enjoyed this book which focuses on an 11 year old wizard, but one without all the cute tricks and inncoent fun.  This is serious magic here so you better beware.  I enjoyed it so much I read the sequels--not necessary and not something I usually do.  They were worth it.

Fire Bringer by David Clement-Davies

Forget the rabbits.  How about those dear?  Okay, so while Clement-Davies may have borrowed loosely from Adams, he still tells a mostly original story that holds up on its own.  The deer are central to this tale, but it gallops along at a deer like pace and was well worth the journey. 

Those are your five options.  Look them over virtually and then make a list of your tentative top three.  Happy exploring.

One more thing.  I wanted to give a shout out to Bryce Yoder, Zac Hall, and Peter Rutkowski for doing a superb job on the "Masque of the Red Death" and "No Man Is an Island" writing prompt last Friday.  Excellent work.

You should be reading about the next writing assignment tonight.  Come with questions at the ready!  See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment