Sunday, September 23, 2012

Standard 9-23-2012

So was it The Lady or was it The Tiger?  Every time I think I know what I think, some little fact tweaks my brain and makes me reconsider the think I thought.  I think I said that right.

Anyway, I absolutely love that story!  I know, I know, it has some pretty difficult vocabulary.  But that's what is coming your way.  You need to be able to work your way through the difficult texts.  That reading was definitely a step up from "Raymond's Run" and "The Treasure of Lemon Brown".  There's nothing wrong with those two stories; we needed to start with something accessible; however, we are going to start to push the envelop a little bit now.  Don't worry, I'll help you as we move forward.  We'll even spend a bit of time investigating your approach to "The Lady or the Tiger?", and offer hints on how you might be more successful in the future.

That's coming tomorrow, but there is more as well.  Did someone say Acuity?  Guess what. Acuity at Home is back!  Yes!  You can cheer for as long as you want.  I'll wait.  I took the liberty to assign you all some Acuity at Home tasks this weekend.  I'll be expecting you to have completed two of the task by Wednesday.  Go ahead.  Start now.

I have to tell you this little bit of info.  All five of my classes had the most trouble with the same question on the Acuity test you took a couple of weeks ago. It was the one that asked you how to properly address the greeting (salutation) of a business letter.  Here is the correct answer.

Mr. O'Malley:

It's the colon.  I've told you.  You've read it.  Now, I don't expect anyone to miss it again.  Okay?  Good!  Just to be sure, come up to me and show me on a scrap of paper how to properly address the greeting of a business letter, and I'll sign your Archer card.

In other news, you'll be receiving your books tomorrow.  I wanted everyone to get his/her first choice.  It didn't happen.  While some did, some are on second, and, yes, even third choices.  The good thing is that all the books are good, so you won't be disappointed once you start reading.  I'll be passing out the lit circle expectations as well tomorrow.  I'll be holding those expectations high, and I'll be expecting you to reach them.

One last thing...I'll be passing back your "Lemon Brown" character analysis papers tomorrow.  While overall I'd have to say we struggled, there were still some bright spots out there.  I'd like to commend Katherine Barker, Sam Nicholas, Sophia Donati, and Audrey Richmond for offering strong analyses of their character choices.  We'll look at some of those, write reflections and move on to our next writing.

See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment