Thursday, September 20, 2012

Enriched and Standard 9-20-2012

Okay, so I finally got you all checking the blog, and then I don't post until 11:04.  I apologize.  I just walked in the door from school 15 minutes ago.  Yes, it was a very late night at Discovery.  No new info tonight.  I'm gone tomorrow, but I'll try and post stuff on the paper (enriched) and the books (enriched and standard) tomorrow.  Good night.  Sleep tight.

Oh, okay, here's a little hint, Enriched, about what you'll be doing tomorrow.


Prompts for Periods One, Five and Six

Part I: Based solely on what you read in “The Masque of the Red Death”, what traits do you believe Edgar Allan Poe would hope to find in his fellow man?  What attitudes would he believe a human should have?  What actions would he believe a human should perform?  Write a claim (probably a sentence or two) that clearly spells out Poe’s opinions and expectations. 
Part II: Now that you have a claim to work with, help each other by finding evidence in the text to support that claim.  Write the quotes down under your claim in your language arts notebooks.  Be sure to include page numbers for the quotes.  The more evidence you find, the better off you will be when it comes time to start writing the paper.  In addition to finding the quotes, I would also spend time writing myself an explanation as to why the evidence I selected supports my claim.

Part III: Based solely on what you read in the World War Z excerpt, what traits do you believe Max Brooks would hope to find in his fellow man?  What attitudes would he believe a  human should have?  What actions would he believe a human should perform?  Write a claim (probably a sentence or two) that clearly spells out Brooks’s opinions and expectations. 
Part IV: Now that you have a claim to work with, help each other by finding evidence in the text to support that claim.  Write the quotes down under your claim in your language arts notebooks.  Be sure to include page numbers for the quotes.  The more evidence you find, the better off you will be when it comes time to start writing the paper.  In addition to finding the quotes, I would also spend time writing myself an explanation as to why the evidence I selected supports my claim.

Part V: Based solely on what you read in “No Man Is an Island”, what traits do you believe John Donne would hope to find in his fellow man?  What attitudes would he believe a human should have?  What actions would he believe a human should perform?  Write a claim (probably a sentence or two) that clearly spells out Donne’s opinions and expectations. 
Part VI: Now that you have a claim to work with, help each other by finding evidence in the text to support that claim.  Write the quotes down under your claim in your language arts notebooks.  Be sure to include page numbers for the quotes.  The more evidence you find, the better off you will be when it comes time to start writing the paper.  In addition to finding the quotes, I would also spend time writing myself an explanation as to why the evidence I selected supports my claim.

Next, from the information you have compiled, I want you to make a list of the basic requirements the individual who would draw love and support from these three authors should have.  

Now, I want you to brainstorm possible individuals who would meet those requirements, but first read this carefully.  The individual does NOT have to be able to meet 100% of the requirements 100% of the time.  I also don’t want you to settle on the first individual who comes to mind.  Try your best to find the unique individual.  If everyone thinks of the same person first, that’s not going to be a unique individual, and it’s not going to be a unique paper.  Trust me, you want a unique paper.  

Think about people we might all know, but also think about those more obscure individuals whom only you might know due to your outside interests.  Don’t just scratch the surface in your search.  Dig deeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment