Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Busy Day 09-06-2012

Subordinate Conjunctions!  AAAWWUBBIS! Complex sentences!  Introductory clauses!  Just a few of the things we covered today in the enriched classes.  (I hope you're keeping them all straight. Hint! Hint!)

We reviewed introductory clauses and seemed to remember the need for the introductory clause (also known as a dependent clause or a subordinate clause) to have both a noun and a verb.  Obviously it introduces the sentence and is set off from the rest of the sentence with a comma.  We also leaned that the word used to introduce an introductory clause is called a subordinating conjunction.  With the help of the mnemonic device AAAWWUBBIS, we learned a few examples of subordinating conjunctions.

A always
A although
A as
W while
W when
U until
B before
B because
I if
S since

Our main focus was in preparation for our academic dialogue taking place tomorrow during my absence.  I want you to listen carefully to each other as you read your paragraph analysis.  Then as the analysis is reread, I want you to stop the reader and discuss what you hear.  If you hear a great line, fantastic support, a deep penetrating analysis, I want you to celebrate the writer.  If you hear discombobulated writing, unsupported ideas, confusing interpretations, I want you to critique the writer and help him/her learn to write it better.  This is your chance to listen and speak.  I want you to LISTEN and SPEAK!

Take advantage of the time spent on this and then begin to prepare for FRIDAY!  More to come tomorrow.  Be sure to log on and read for tips.

In the standard class we also spent time on the introductory clauses.  We'll keep at those for a bit as we seemed to struggle somewhat.

Our main focus was on the summary writing.  Most of us completed the individual summary writing and have moved on to the partner portion of the activity.  Take it seriously tomorrow as you complete the next few steps.  I guarantee, in the near future, you'll be asked to write a summary of something you've read, and it will be assessed.  This is the time to get some good practice in prior to the assessment.

Though I'll be away from you the next two days, I will be thinking about you fondly, patiently anticipating the rigorous work awaiting you upon my return.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment