Thursday, December 20, 2012

Enriched 12-20-2012

The NPR audio we listened to today in periods five and six generated some positive discussion.  It's tough to balance evil in the world with a benevolent supreme being.  Thus the discussion in the NPR spot was relevant to our discussions of Elie and his personal ordeal.  Here's a link to the audio, period one, should you be curious of what was said.  It's only four minutes long.  Give it a listen.  Tell me what you think.

Lots of discussion on the text today as well.  We covered a lot of ground quickly and each class did a fine job of getting almost every student involved.  I've read the book over twenty times and I still pause and let Elie's description of Juliek's final violin concert wash over me.  I was pleased that every class selected that scene as the most beautiful.  Elie's disbelief at being 16 and witnessing what he had witnessed and the bonds formed by Elie and his father seemed to dominate the conversations.  Tonight you are finishing the book.  It's powerful and holds nothing back.  Elie is nothing if not brutally honest with his words.  When he says, "Free at last..." it tears at me in multiple ways.  We'll consider his words and much more tomorrow.  Be sure you have your two questions written on page 116 before you enter class tomorrow.

Jenni Munoz was doing a little looking around the internet and found a couple sites with some rare photographs.  Check these out if you have a moment.  Pretty stunning.





Remind me tomorrow and I'll show you a photo of Elie at one of the camps.  


I'll return your papers tomorrow, but, unfortunately, I was unable to assess them all.  Look for final assessments over break.

One more Christmas Archer card signature opportunity.  One of the most often adapted Christmas tales is that of Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol.  Identify three individuals who portrayed Scrooge in an adaptation and I'll sign your Archer card.

We have one more day to make through.  It will be a full one.  See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment