Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Standard 12-04-2012

No class for period three tomorrow.  Period four?  We will be meeting and we will be continuing our work with verbals.  Be ready for some infinitive questions tomorrow.

We'll also continue our QBTs.  Tomorrow's presenters are Sabrina Brown, Brooke Hoffman, and Paige Piekarz.  Should be three awesome QBTs!

We started to watch a portion of "The People Next Door" video.  We only got a taste, but you already learned a lot from the brief part we watched.  Racism was the core of the Nazi creed.  A week economy and societal unrest helped boost Hitler to power.  Anti-Semitism has been going on for over 1000 years!  We'll watch more tomorrow, continue to take notes, and discuss the key ideas presented.

The paper rough drafts are due in class on Monday, December 10.  I had the day right but I had previously told you the 11th.  Sorry for the mistake.  Regardless, starting out your I-Search paper effectively is important.  Here are a couple successful examples.


This is an introduction to a career study I-Search paper.  The individual wanted to be an artist, and didn't hold back her enthusiasm.

Ever since I've been old enough to hold a crayon, I have been fascinated with the arts.  Picasso.  Monet.  Van Gogh.  They all had so much creativity and so much style.  I love to study the different techniques the artists use and then try to incorporate them in my own works and make my own unique style.  An undiscovered style.  Undiscovered for now, that is, because I want to be a famous artist whose talent is familiar throughout the world.  That is why I need to discover more about what it takes to become a successful artist.    

Obviously in the next few paragraphs, she is going to share the research she did to understand what it takes to be an artist.  That's what she learned.

Now in this next example remember that I mentioned you might use dialogue in your paper, and that's just what this person decided to do to start his I-Search paper.

"Five minutes, Derek," the stage manager booms.

"Okay.  I'll be there A.S.A.P."  I bolt out of my dressing room door, easily find my way through the large maze called backstage, and then blackness.  The stage, my one true home.  I hear the call for places, and I scurry into position.  As I wait patiently for the curtain to rise, I slowly drift back to how I first learned about what it takes to be a stage performer.  

You can tell that he is telling a story.  He's now transitioning into what he learned about what it takes to be on stage.

This final example leads into someone learning about crime scene investigating.

The gruesome crime scenes and bloody evidence can be repulsive, however, my fascination with the job of crime scene investigator has yet to be quenched, no matter how many CSI shows I have watched.  Helping to decipher who has committed a crime and helping a family find justice drive me to 
learn as much as I can about this job.  I need to know about the required schooling, the different fields, the special tools, the proper procedures.  Once I have these I know I can become a successful crime scene investigator.

These are three different intros to I-Search papers.  The difference between these and the ones you will be writing is that these three didn't start by learning information from a book.  They figured out what they wanted to learn more about and then they researched it.  You will need to have the title of your book and the author mentioned in your intros.  Aside from that, the tone and delivery of the three intros above are similar to what I'll be expecting from you.  Notice the heavy use of the first person.  Notice the personality and flair.  Notice the conversational tone.  Copy that and you could be successful too.

See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment