Sunday, November 11, 2012

Standard 11-11-2012

Well here's some good news for you.  I've assessed the agreement quizzes, and, for the most part, you completed the quiz well.  Not everyone nailed it, and a few of you will need some extra work; however, it was obvious that a lot of you understood what these agreement errors are all about.  Nice job.

We'll be shifting back to some Acuity questions this week, but I also have a bit of good news for you on the Acuity front.  Be sure to ask me about it tomorrow.

I know cremation may not be the hottest topic (no pun intended) for you to read about.  However, one thing I want you to realize as we shift to a heavier nonfiction load, is the way nonfiction is written and how it differs from fiction.  That's a major reason why I gave you the questions that I did at the end of the article.  I want you to see how the author organized his ideas and especially how he supported them.  That's something fiction never has to worry about.  When reading nonfiction, you should always be aware of what is being said, who is saying it, and why the speaker's opinions or the data being cited matter.

So be sure to have actively read and annotated the article.  I want you coming ready to discuss the topics.

I trust you've been looking for and thinking about and narrowing down your nonfiction options for your next book.  Remember I have a few to choose from, Mom and Dad could probably suggest some, and the library and the book store have nearly endless supplies.  Have some titles in mind when you come to class tomorrow.  Here is a helpful link of titles to peruse if you are still unsure.  You are going to want to select a book which you have interest in.  Remember, in addition to reading it, you'll need to write a paper and complete a QBT (Quickie Bookie Talkie) over the book.  More on both will be in your hands tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, we'll be experiencing some Tool Time work with sentences and a heavy dose of nonfiction.   See you then.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment