Thursday, February 6, 2014

Honors 02-06-2014

Yet another snow day has come and gone.  I can't remember what it's like to go to school for a full week.  I'll be exhausted once it finally happens.  Until then, let's talk about...

IRONY!  Several industrious students have already submitted their irony examples and they are hanging up around the room as I type this.  They are clever and fun and colorful (most of the time).  One of my favorites has got to be the fire hydrant on fire.  Shocking and hilarious at the same time!  You have until Monday to turn it in and earn 10/10.  Remember that whatever is up in the classroom at this point is off limits.  Here's a link to a fun website on irony.  I had seen it before, but Chris Hamilton brought it to my attention and reminded me of its brilliance.  Thanks, Chris.

We started to look at "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin (Not pronounced CHOP'-IN) today. Short story but a good one.  It wasn't the easiest to comprehend (as some of those summaries demonstrated) but we had a good discussion about it.  Through our summaries we uncovered the basic plot line and came to an understanding of the ambiguous conclusion.  We also looked at how Chopin utilized symbolism to share the epiphany Mrs. Louise Mallard goes through.  Good work identifying the locked door, the open window and the spring season as important elements to the story.  I had you discuss theme in small groups and write down a potential theme.  We'll look a little closer at those tomorrow.  I also asked that you consider the word "prison" when constructing your own theme tonight.  How does "The Story of an Hour" say anything about prison?  Think about it.

Tomorrow we will be headed to the IMC for a fiction book, but only after I pass out an assignment to you.  Can't wait to share!  It's not the one I was initially thinking about (that one has been postponed until later in the quarter) but it is still undoubtedly challenging and fun.  Of course, I'm biased...

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment