Sunday, October 6, 2013

Honors 10-06-2013

Hope you are all enjoying the final hours of your weekend.  Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow.  Be sure to bring your book to first hour tomorrow: Monday Reads.

I'm curious what we'll be looking at tomorrow in class for the FTAA assignments.  You should all have the summary, T-chart, and allegorical analysis in hand.  No matter the fairy tale or story or fable, try to keep the summary to a page or less.  For some of you (I'm talking to you "Tortoise and the Hare" people) this won't be a problem, but for others (sorry Peter Pan fans) it might be a little trickier.  Do the best you can to cut it down to the nitty gritty.

The T-chart should be the easiest part of the task.  Keep it simple and direct.  The explanations will come in the allegorical analysis.

For that allegorical analysis, be sure to clearly explain each allegorical point you are trying to make.  If Mom or Dad don't know what you are trying to say, then I won't know either.  I want you to be insightful, but do not feel that you need to get every little detail allegorized (I looked; it's actually a real word).  I'd rather have you explain a few ideas exceptionally well than cover a whole lot of stuff vaguely.  25 points hanging in the balance.

I read over the quick in class writings you did Friday about Squealer's speech.  There were basically three key ideas you needed to hit and one individual who I remember doing well was  Ricky Zhu.   He did a super job identifying each tactic of Squealer's speech and backing it up with solid support.  I can't go into too much detail here because a couple people need to write it yet, but way to go Ricky!

One more group in each class needs to Fish Bowl for us over Animal Farm.  I'll probably give each group a couple options to choose from from chapter 5.  We might spend some time with your one and ones tomorrow too.  We also need to start nailing down the Russian revolution allegories in Animal Farm.   A lot depends on how long we spend on the peer edits of our FTAA assignments.

Got a few other items up my sleeve, but we are already pretty packed for tomorrow.

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment