Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Standard 2-27-2013

How are you doing?  It's been a while...at least a lot longer than I ever expected it to be.  Needless to say, I was wiped out.  I'm feeling invigorated tonight, so let's get this party started.

Party?  You bet!  Language arts is a party.  It's so much fun to read, analyze, discuss, and write.  Okay, maybe that's just me, but you need to be coming on board as well.  You only have fun if you give yourself over to the course.  You only learn if you try.  Leave the "I don't understand", I don't get it", and "I'm so confused" at the door.  Instead of resorting to those tired, lazy phrases so quickly, put some more effort and thought into what ever is being discussed.

Take a look at "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl.  Great story!  A little eerie.  A little unnerving.  Sure.  But it has a lot to say.  Now you've been working on analyzing it over the last two days.  Time to get moving.  As a group of three, you shouldn't take this long to answer eight questions.  These are the exact types of questions you'll be asked on ISTEP, Acuity, PARCC, Performance Tasks, SAT, ACT, AP, etc.  Differences?  You won't have partners to help you.   You won't have me to throw some ideas by.   You won't have unlimited time to decide what to write.

You all seemed to have nailed the summaries.  Seeing as that is the easiest level question of the eight, and seeing as we have worked on summaries in the recent past, it should have been answered more quickly by most.  We'll wrap up the other seven questions tomorrow, discuss them as a group, and then head into an in class timed writing.  ISTEP is only six days away.  A timed writing this close to the test can only be a positive experience for you.  The more prepared you are the better you will write.  I'll share more on the timed writing when I see you tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, you all need to have the book you've chosen to read in your hands tomorrow when you walk into class.  I will be looking.  You will be spending some time with it tomorrow.

Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow.  I want to discuss this story!  See you then.



No comments:

Post a Comment