Sunday, October 14, 2012

Enriched 10-14-2012

So I left you all with a bit of a teaser at the end of class last Friday.  We had discussed the original "Drone Dilemma" article by Michael Crowley after which we were not overwhelmingly in favor of or against the use of drones.  However, once I shared the "What it Means to be Living Under Drones" article by Jennifer Gibson, a decidedly one-sided article railing against the use of drones, (take note of that noun phrase I just used as an appositive) we did see a negative view of drones swallow up our perspectives.

That was a reasonable reaction.  Gibson emphasized those negative aspects pretty hard and was  unflinching in her presentation.  When such a one-sided piece is shared, it gives us all pause to question what we initially believed.

Some of you, like Mike Knutson, questioned that one-sided approach.  He called it a biased piece of writing.  But it's important to realize that Gibson's methods are commonly used.  Any writer or commentator might ask him or herself, "Why should I offer a balanced piece of writing when I want you to believe what I believe?"  It's a fair question, especially when many of us are willing to believe the first thing we hear.

That puts a heavy responsibility on the reader.  We need to be aware when we are reading a biased article.  If not, our views and opinions could be erroneously shaped before we are fully educated on the topic.

Whenever I read an argumentative article, one of the first things I do is check to see who the writer is.  What connection does the writer have to the topic?  What does he or she stand to gain from me siding one way or another on the topic?  Also, how does the author structure the article?  Are both sides shared equally and fairly or is there a disproportionate amount of time and energy getting me to feel one way while the other side is addressed but trivialized and offered only cursory development?  I also examine what facts, figures, and evidence are offered.  Are the numbers legitimate?  Are the quotes from knowledgeable, respectable individuals?  What all this adds up to is the importance of being an active reader.  If I don't take responsibility for how I read, I'll be only half informed and be caught off guard when asked to defend my opinions.

So as I said at the beginning with my teaser comment, I did hold back one piece of information.  This one piece of info might allow you to, again, reconsider your stance.  The information is right on the paper.  If you come up to me and tell me what that important piece of info is before class tomorrow, I will sign your Archer card.

And now, on to the C.A.P. paper.  You will give it to me tomorrow.  I will actually be using the checklist from Thursday's blog to assess the papers.  Once again, if you can honestly check off those items, then you should be doing pretty well.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you've developed.

I'm checking Acuity-At-Home today.  Hopefully, you've been on there in the last seven days.

Tomorrow holds a bit of Acuity, collection of the papers, some drone discussion, the power of word choice, and a new story for us to examine.  Oh, and your next little ten point assignment.  See you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment