Monday, September 9, 2013

Honors 09-09-13

Just finished reading an article in Sports Illustrated.  Guess what I saw.  Cohesive Writing!  It's everywhere!

Remember, your task is to find two examples from any source possible and bring those examples in to school by Wednesday.  You'll be doing something with one of them after Wednesday, so choose wisely.

We started breaking down "The Forecast" in class today.  Some groups are effectively writing down their entire process from how they approached the poem initially to the questions they generated to the discussions they have had.  Then, and only then, are they proceeding to the three questions I want you all to answer.  This will show me the process they used to find meaning in the poem and gain understanding of the deeper issues.  Just answering the three questions won't do that.  I want you to think about how to attack an unfamiliar poem or piece of writing because that is what I will be asking you to do often this year.

Good news?  I guess this is good news for you.  I've decided to switch the due date of the reading of The Giver and the three responses to Thursday, September 19.  My absence on the three days preceding the 19th convinced me that it would be better to hold off.  I want to be there for the discussions that will be coming.  It'll also give me a chance to toss in an extra short story or two.  Let's see, you've had the non fiction utopian article, two poems, The Giver, and now a few short stories.  Your first one..."Harrison Bergeron".  Coming to you tomorrow.

Do you like to laugh?  I just watched one of the stupidest/funniest videos in a while.  Check it out if you have a chance.  I know it doesn't have anything to do with language arts...it's just, well, check it out for yourself and let me know what you think.  

See you tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment