Thursday, September 26, 2013

Honors 09-26-2013

Sorry about yesterday's white-out.  Makes it difficult to read.  I'll try not to do that again; although, I'm not exactly sure what I did.

The timed writing went well today.  I've started to assess the papers and already wish to commend Ricky Zhu and Garrett Pfrender from period one for their strong symbol examples for The Giver.  Decent, quick explanations as well. I can't wait to see what else is out there.  I'm sure there are plenty of others that are just as strong.

Our immediate work with The Giver is just about over, but there are a couple questions I'd still like you to discuss.  Here they are:

How does the novel connect with the other pieces we have looked at already this year?
What is Lowry's purpose for writing this novel?

 After that it will be time to start thinking about our next read.  I've been dropping hints, and a few astute readers of the blog have already figured out where we are headed.  The name of the book is Animal Farm. It was written by George Orwell.   Its length is similar to The Giver, but it is a much different read.  Yes, it is a bit more difficult.  That's one reason why I won't be just handing you the book and saying, "Read away!" We'll go through this one together, doing activities, writing, and discussing along the way to make sure our comprehension is where it needs to be.

One of the first things we'll discuss is the euphemism.  If you're not sure what it is, you'll want to look it up.  But beyond merely acquiring a definition, I'll want you to understand how and why they are used and why George Orwell used them the way he did.  What did his use of euphemisms add to the story?  That's a question that we will be discussing as we progress through the novel.

We'll do a Tool Time tomorrow.  It's Friday Read Day so bring a book to read to first hour.  Now I have papers to assess, so I'll be bringing this to a close.

See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment