Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Honors 09-25-2013

Three months until Christmas!  No. I'm not excited; I just hope my wife buys me the Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.  I'll sign your Archer card tomorrow if you tell me what movie I just alluded to.

Acuity came and went today.  We celebrated some perfect scores from several individuals and high scores pretty much across the board.  That's great.  It makes our goal of every honors student earning a pass plus on ISTEP next spring that much more realistic.  Keep up the good work.

Ah...speaking of work, you'll be doing that in class tomorrow in the form of a timed writing.  Good writing is hard work, but it will be easier if you prepared yourself by looking over the prompts and securing some quotes.  We chopped the options down to 11 possibilities.   I know, that's still a big number, but at least you have an idea what's coming your way.  On ISTEP, PARCC, AP tests, SATs and ACTs, you'll be going in cold.  At this moment, I'm feeling one short answer question and one essay.  Since you'll have 50 minutes, I'd keep about 40 for the essay and ten for the short answer.  It's your writing, so you decide what you want to do.  

One question which I really like, but didn't make it on the prompt list and wasn't discussed in class on Monday or Tuesday is the following: What was Lowry's purpose for writing The Giver?   What message did she intend on sending?  We might hold out some time Friday for that one.  And as much as I like the question, I'm not going to ask you to connect the novel to the other stories we read.  (There you go--that drops the possibilities to ten!) I'm not convinced we are ready to attack that one. Perhaps another one for Friday?

Friday will also be that start of our next reading.  It's an anthropomorphic revolution!  It's a devastatingly savage attack on an idealistic way of life.  It's a comedy that will make you cringe.  It's a superb example of situational irony.  

What's an Orwell, comrade?

See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment